Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Day by Day thing....

My last post was before DOD's M.R.I. The good news is that the M.R.I. didn't turn up anything definitive. A spinal tap revealed advanced degenerative disease. We're going to come up with a treatment plan in the next few days....one to keep him comfortable and help his cognitive abilities. He's still eating with gusto and walking a bit, albeit at a permanent list. He picked up his ball yesterday!

I came across a poem on the Internet today which I plan to keep by my computer. I know that one day we will part and I think this poem will give me some solace when the time comes.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done
For this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand

For this day, more than all the rest
Your love and friendship stand the test.
We've had so many happy years
What is to come can hold no fears
Would you want me to suffer? So
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
Only stay with me until the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
It is a kindness that you do for me

Although my tail its last has waved
From pain and suffering I have been saved
Do not grieve it should be you
Who must decide this thing to do
We've been so close, we two these years
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

~ Author Unknown ~

Holling's person Sharon

No comments: